Jean DeGrace Crandall Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship was set up as a memorial to Jean DeGrace Crandall, educator and friend to the migrant community. She worked as a Tutor Advocate for the Mid-Hudson Migrant Education Outreach Program (MEOP), a folklorist for the Dutchess County Arts Council and was the owner/operator of La Mula Chula in Rhinebeck, a store featuring fair-trade Mexican folk art, which she imported herself. An annual scholarship will be awarded for post-secondary assistance to a migrant farmworker or child of a migrant farmworker (with a preference for those from Mexico) with a history of migration to Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster, or Westchester Counties in New York State. Though not required, but because of Jean's personal interests, students with a demonstrated interest in traditional Mexican art and culture are especially encouraged to apply.
Jean was a true community activist and philanthropist. She was warm hearted and altruistic in nature and had a special commitment to the immigrant community of the greater Poughkeepsie area. This scholarship honors her generous spirit.
Amount of Award(s):
Number of Awards:
Type of Award:
One-time scholarship payable to school
Conditions For Continuation:
Current High School:
Any High School in Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster or Westchester Counties
Current Level of Education:
High School Senior or Undergraduate
- Migrant farmworker or child of a migrant farmworker with a history of migration to Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster, or Westchester Counties
- Intent to pursue post-secondary education.
- Copy of a Migrant Education Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
- Write an essay of 250-300 words describing a situation or obstacle you faced, how you dealt with it, and what you learned from the experience. How might that experience help others facing similar circumstances?
With your completed Online Application you will also need to attach the following:
- Most recent high school or college transcript.
- Two current letters of recommendation from teachers/guidance counselor, clergy or persons other than family members who are familiar with your skills and abilities. These letters must have been written within the last six months.
-PROOF OF MIGRANT EDUCATION ELIGIBILITY – Attach a copy of a ‘Certificate of Eligibility’ (COE) showing qualifications as a migrant student during the past three calendar years or any time during high school.
Applications must be submitted online with all attachments by May 1.