The Applewood Leadership scholarship is available for incoming Dutchess Community College students of African or Caribbean descent who are residents of the City of Poughkeepsie and are 21 and under. Applicants must be current or former students at Poughkeepsie High School. Recipients of this scholarship will be part of the Applewood Leadership for High Achievement (ALPHA) Initiative at Dutchess Community College. The program will support students working towards an Associate’s Degree who are striving towards a four year degree. Participants will be paired with Dutchess Community College faculty or staff mentors who will guide and support the ALPHA students in their studies and co-curricular activities. Funds shall be used for educational purposes. Applicants may need to complete an interview process.
Amount of Award(s):
Number of Awards:
Type of Award:
Renewable for an additional year
Conditions For Continuation:
In order to continue receiving this scholarship in subsequent years you must provide the Foundation with:
- A copy of your school transcript to verify your eligibility to continue with the scholarship. The scholarship is renewable, for up to 1 year, based on the student having achieved a GPA of at least B-.
- A copy of your tuition bill for the fall semester to verify your continued attendance at your college.
Current High School:
Current or former student at Poughkeepsie High School
Current Level of Education:
High School Senior or Student with GED/High School Equivalency Diploma
- Be an incoming full-time Dutchess Community College student who is 21 and under
- Current or former student at Poughkeepsie High School
- Resident of the City of Poughkeepsie
- Be of African or Caribbean descent
- Demonstrate financial need
With your completed Online Application you will also need to attach the following:
- Essay discussing your career goals, personal values, and community service (typed, limit to one page or 500 words).
- Most recent high school transcript or GED/High School Equivalency Diploma.
- Resume and/or list of extracurricular activities.
- Copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) and Expected Family Contribution (EFC) information, which you will receive when you complete and submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Two current letters of recommendation from teachers/guidance counselor, clergy or persons other than family members who are familiar with your skills and abilities. These letters must have been written within the last six months.
Applications must be submitted online with all attachments by May 1.