The Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley recognizes the impact Covid-19 has had on our community and the nonprofit sector and is pivoting our Community Grants program to support recovery efforts.
The Pivoting to Respond Grant Program replaces our Community Grant programs for Dutchess, Putnam and Ulster Counties for the 2020/2021 cycle.
In partnership with Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation the Pivoting to Respond Grant Program will provide unrestricted General Operating Support (GOS) to nonprofits and communities disproportionately impacted by Covid-19 and its economic consequences. GOS grants are flexible and allow funds to support an organization’s ongoing administrative and infrastructure costs and to maintain existing, effective programs. While our longstanding Community Grant program focused on capacity building, training, development and program support, this grant cycle will focus on mission, impact, planning and recovery. Funding will support a broad variety of organizations and programming. Funding will have a focus on benefiting people who are from historically marginalized, under-served and under-resourced communities or populations based on their race, ethnicity, age, gender/gender identity, socioeconomic status, health status, abilities or geographic location.
- Tax exempt organizations located in or providing services to Dutchess, Putnam and Ulster Counties, New York.
- Have been operating as a nonprofit organization for at least one year with 501(c)(3) status or an established fiscal sponsorship arrangement with a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
- Are actively engaged in planning for the future.
- Can demonstrate financial resiliency.
Funding priority will be given to organizations serving communities of color, low-income, rural/geographically isolated, LGBTQIA+, individuals with disabilities, refugees, immigrants, or other historically marginalized, under-served and under-resourced communities or populations.
Please note that grants are not given to support:
- Political or partisan purposes
- Annual fund or campaign appeals
- Loan reimbursements for capital projects already underway or completed
- Private operating foundations
- For-profit organizations
- Religious organizations* Please note grants may be made to support non-religious, community focused programs provided through religious/faith based organizations
- Schools* Please note grants may be made to support student/teacher community service programs targeted to assist community needs
It is anticipated that a minimum of $100,000 will be available to grant.
We recognize community needs will far surpass our available resources. Please understand that we will not be able to grant many of the requests we receive.
Grants made through this program will not exceed $10,000 per organization.
Click here to apply through our Grants Portal.
If you wish to review the application before applying online, you can preview the questions by clicking here.
The Community Foundations will be accepting applications from July 15 through September 8
While this list is not exhaustive, the Foundations considers applications with the following criteria in mind:
- Organization Feasibility: Clearly demonstrates an ability to accomplish a proposed recovery plan, is viable in the long-term and secures other sources of financial and in-kind support
- Community Need/Opportunity: Fosters trust and collaborative civic participation in addressing a vital community need and collectively improves community conditions
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: Develops and maintains community connections for the underserved and economically diverse; Incorporates diverse cultures, philosophies and experiences across their organization/programming
All applications will be rated on these criteria and reviewed by the Advisory Boards of the Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley. Our Advisory Boards are comprised of community members representing Dutchess, Putnam and Ulster Counties. All recommendations made by the Advisory Boards are then reviewed, approved or declined by the Board of Trustees of the Community Foundations.
Contact Program Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or Cristin McPeake, Vice President of Programs at email@example.com or 845-452-3077 ext. 1014.