The Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley is pleased to announce awards totaling $40,000 to enhance curricula and classrooms throughout the region. For 34 years the Foundations has conferred such awards to local teachers at parochial, private and public schools. Grants fund a range of equipment, technology, professional trainings and cutting-edge projects.
This year, 36 grants were made to enrich education in Dutchess, Putnam and Ulster counties – reaching thousands of students. The Foundations held its annual awards ceremony on Wednesday, May 22nd
at Locust Grove in Poughkeepsie. Longtime educator, administrator and Community Foundations Trustee Linda B. Clarke emceed the event.
“Our Partnership in Education awards are a true community undertaking. This program brings together the generosity of individual and corporate donors, the discernment of our committed volunteers, and the creativity of our teachers, to directly invest in our region,” said March Gallagher, President & CEO.
Grants were made through the following programs:
- Fund for Excellence in Education grants for special projects and professional development for teachers Pre-K – 12, at public, parochial and private/independent schools;
- HealthQuest Taconic IPA Science Education Grants fund teachers to expand learning in the sciences through acquisition of classroom and laboratory science equipment in Dutchess, Orange and Ulster counties;
- The Dennis J. Markle Community Service Awards granting community service projects;
- The David Kennon Moody Award for teaching writing; and
- Dorothy’s Marionettes and Puppets Award grants to public school teachers for projects which incorporate student and/or teacher-made marionettes and puppets in the curricula.
The Community Foundations staff and Board of Trustees would like to congratulate the 2019 winners:
Arlington High School; Gwen Saylor,
Arlington High School; Darlene Yager,
Dutchess Day School; Elyse Joy,
Orville A Todd Middle School; Julie Shook,
Arthur S. May Elementary School; Juliet Boone,
Franklin D. Roosevelt High School; Evan Miklos,
Randolph School; Cheryl Mongroo,
Samuel F.B. Morse Elementary School; Andrew Nikola,
Vassar Road Elementary; Laura Collins,
North Park Elementary School; Megan E. Cooke,
John Jay High School; Mary Langenau,
North Park Elementary.
Kent Elementary School; Jennifer Coughlin,
Matthew Paterson Elementary; Jackie Schreiber & Laurel Whitworth,
Matthew Paterson Elementary School; Dr. Michèle Boulet-Lussier & Meaghan Boyle,
Putnam Valley Elementary School; Adele Foster,
Putnam Valley High School; Danielle Michielini,
CV Starr Intermediate School.
Kingston High School; Marie Daniels,
Woodstock Day School; Ashley Longendyke,
J. Watson Bailey Middle School; Rosemarie Wisneski,
Kingston High School; Andrew Ugolino,
Marlboro High School; Jacob Maloney,
Rondout Valley High School; Amy Shapiro,
Woodstock Day School.